Arsenal Football Development: English Language Classes Option
Exsportise’s English language program is designed to provide students with the tools to improve their everyday use of spoken English.
At Exsportise, they aim to improve students’ receptive (reading/listening) and productive (writing/speaking) language skills with a strong focus on oral communication and fluency. Exsportise provides effective English language progression by combining English tuition with soccer training. The Soccer and English Program offers 15 hours of English tuition per week alongside 15 hours of soccer coaching allowing distinct improvement in both areas.
The English program is managed by Exsportise Directors of Studies who have tailored it to the needs of Exsportise students. All coaching and tuition is in English so the course specifically focuses on providing students with the tools they will need to get the most out of their camp experience. English teachers teach in a communicative, open and friendly way. They plan and deliver interesting lessons using relevant and current topics that encourage active and authentic participation from all students.
Those opting for the soccer only Academy Program will not receive formal English tuition but will be encouraged to use and improve their English through their day to day activities while students in the Soccer and English courses will combine soccer training with their English language classes.
Daily Tuition and Small Classes
Each morning or afternoon consists of 3 x 60 minute lessons with a 15 minute break in between the lessons. Students study three different lessons to develop all receptive and productive language skills, expand their vocabulary, improve their accuracy in speaking and writing and boost their confidence.
The Study Program
Exsportise teachers aim to help students feel at ease, join in and make friends. All lessons are interactive, engaging, fun, and reactive to the needs of the students. Each three hour session will include:
Core English – Grammar / Lexis: This lesson includes vocabulary building, improving students’ understanding and use of grammar and perfecting their pronunciation. This section gives students the confidence to speak.
Enrichment – Integrated Skills / Communication Skills: Focus on improving the four main receptive and productive competencies of reading/listening and writing/speaking using topics that are interesting and relevant to the students.
Exsportise Projects – CLIL (Content and Language Integrated Learning) / Collaboration: Students engage in stimulating, task-based projects to enable students to work together to achieve a common goal, whilst developing their 21st Century Skills (creativity, collaboration, and communication) and fluency. This section makes the teaching particularly real and engaging for our students with relevant content, including English and British culture and includes presentation skills to increase confidence.
Attention will be paid to pronunciation and fluency throughout.
Important: Please note that students will need at least one year of English tuition before joining the English classes. This program does not accommodate complete beginners who have no knowledge of English.
English Beyond the Classroom and Continuous Learning
At Exsportise, English becomes an integral part of students’ daily life. English is heard, spoken and practised during all Specialist Academies and recreational activities so students will have many opportunities to put into practice what they have learned in the classroom and fully immerse themselves in the language.
Placement Tests and Level Descriptions
Our placement test takes place on the first Monday morning and enables the Director of Studies to create the classes according to students’ level and age.
Five levels of English are available from A1 (Beginner – Elementary) to C1 (Advanced). This programme does not accommodate complete beginners who have no knowledge of English or students who have already reached C2 (Proficiency).
Please see below for a breakdown of the individual levels and what students of each level are able to do:
A2 students can:
- understand straightforward information within a known area such as very basic personal and family information, shopping, local area, etc.
- complete forms and write short simple letters or postcards linked to personal information
- express simple opinions or needs in a familiar situation
B1 students can:
- understand points about family, work, school, or leisure-related topics
- write letters or make notes on topics of personal interest
- describe experiences, events, dreams, plans, or opinions in a limited way
B2 students can:
- understand the main idea of a complicated text such as a technical piece within a familiar area
- follow a conversation on a familiar topic or keep up a conversation on quite a wide range of topics
- make notes while someone is talking or write a detailed letter on a wide range of subjects
C1 students can:
- understand a wide range of longer and more difficult texts or conversations
- effectively use the language for social and academic situations
- create well-structured and detailed texts on complicated topics
Evaluation and Certification
Exsportise teachers regularly monitor the progress of their students and carry out weekly tests to ensure they are sufficiently challenged and are learning. Students will leave Exsportise Summer Schools with a course attendance certificate and an academic report from their Core English teacher.
- 15 hours of English language tuition per week – 3 hours per day
- 15 hours of soccer per week – 3 hours per day
- Placement test on first Monday at camp
- Focus on spoken English confidence and practical everyday use
- Mixed nationalities
- Ability appropriate groups: A2-C1
- Weekly assessment and progress tracking
- End of course certificate
- Accredited by the BRITISH COUNCIL for the teaching of English
- A Centre of Excellence
- Maximum class size of 14 students
Exsportise Camps options:
Soccer Only Camp Day:
- 6 hours per day (Monday thru Friday) of coaching led by an Arsenal Football Development Coach (morning (3h) and afternoon (3h) for Soccer Only Camp) OR
Soccer and English Language Classes Camp Day:
- 3 hours of English per day as Foreign Language (EFL) (morning or afternoon for Soccer and English classes option) AND
- 3 hours per day (Monday thru Friday) of coaching led by an Arsenal Football Development Coach (morning or afternoon)
Cambridge English Assessment Optional Extra
Exsportise students will take a Placement test online before they arrive at camp.
Students are offered the opportunity to sit the Cambridge Assessment English Linguaskill reading and listening test (60 – 75 mins) which distinguishes between language levels A1 – C1 or above. Students receive a score on the Cambridge Scale for each of the language skills and a Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) band per skill as well as an average score and overall CEFR band.
Many UK boarding schools use this test for screening applicant students
Additional cost £80. Only available to those doing a minimum of 2 weeks
Progress Assessment, End of Course Certificate, and Report
Teachers monitor, review and assess students’ progress by way of a short progress test at the end of each week. Furthermore, English language students will receive an end of course certificate confirming their attendance.
Exsportise is British Council accredited. The only private language school specialising in sport and English ever to have become an EL Gazette ‘Centre of Excellence’. The premier provider of English Language + Sport/Music/Dance in the UK
Arsenal Football Development in exclusive partnership with Exsportise Summer Schools in the UK